Caulfield electorate

SOUTHWICK (Caulfield) — (Question 183) My constituency question is to the Minister for Health. Many of my constituents in Caulfield have expressed concerns over rooming houses and backpacker accommodation and their tenants. The Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 requires proprietors of rooming houses to register with local councils with minimum standards for prescribed accommodation set out in the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009. Given that there are growing concerns in my electorate about profiteers establishing backpacker accommodation under the guise of rooming houses in quiet suburban streets, where in many instances tenants are causing severe disruption to neighbours, what will the minister do to improve the minimum standards of the prescribed accommodation to address this issue?

Leave a Reply