• Labor has reduced spending in Energy and Resources in the 2015-16 budget ($154.1 million) by $700,000 from the previous 2014-15 budget ($154.8 million).
• Labor has failed to support the mining industry with no new innovation funds for vital research and development.
• Daniel Andrews has ripped funding out of vital programs at the cost of a second review of the Victorian Energy Efficiency Target scheme, despite the Labor stating they already intend to “strengthen the scheme.”
• This budget neglects energy consumers through no investment into reform. This leaves Victoria behind other states joining the National Energy Customer Framework.
• This budget provides nothing for hardship measures for those struggling to pay their bills at risk of disconnection.
Quotes attributed to David Southwick MP, Shadow Minister for Energy and Resources, Renewables:
“Labor has given up on the mining industry and the thousands of jobs at stake by providing no new investment or collaboration into innovation of the mining industry.
“Victoria must invest in renewables for our future; the New Energy Jobs Fund is just a slush fund trying to pick winners.
“This budget leaves those in need facing energy disconnections in the cold with no new funding for hardship measures.”